Updated: Nove. 1, 2022
Contact: Benefits Director – ext. 0649
Paid Parental Leave (PPL):
University-Paid Parental Leave Policy
Regulation on Paid Parental Leave for EHRA Employees
Paid Parental Leave Request Form located on the Benefits Forms page
Family Medical Leave:
Extended Leave of Absence Forms located on the Benefits Forms page
Extended Leave of Absence Resource Guide and forms (9-month faculty FMLA)
Extended Leave of Absence Resource Guide and forms (12-month FMLA)
Voluntary Shared Leave:
Voluntary Shared Leave Program Policy
Under Executive Order 95, Providing Paid Parental Leave to Eligible State Employees, the Office of State Human Resources has established this pilot program to allow state agencies and universities to offer Paid Parental Leave (PPL) to promote physical and mental health for employee families, increase worker retention and improve worker productivity and morale.
The UNC Board of Governors approved the Paid Parental Leave program in September 2019 and directed institutions to implement no earlier than Jan. 1, 2020 and no later than April 30, 2020. The UNC Charlotte implementation effective date: Jan. 1, 2020.
- Eligible University employees who have given birth are provided eight weeks of Paid Parental Leave:
- Four weeks for recuperation during the disability period associated with the birth (“Recuperation Leave”).
- Four weeks of bonding to be used within the first twelve months of the birth and must be used as a continuous four-week period of leave (“Bonding Leave”).
- Eligible University employees who care for or bond with a newborn child or newly adopted, fostered, or otherwise legally placed child shall be provided four weeks of Paid Parental Leave (“Bonding Leave”).
- This leave must be used within the first twelve months of the birth or placement.
An employee’s eligibility for Paid Parental Leave shall be made based on the employee’s months of service and hours of work as of the date of the qualifying life event. Employees who become parents via childbirth, adoption, foster care or another legal placement are eligible if:
Employee is full-time or part-time (half-time or more) in a permanent, probationary, or time-limited position. Leave for part-time employees will be awarded on a prorated basis corresponding to the percentage of hours they normally are scheduled to work.
Employee has been continuously employed by the State of North Carolina for the immediate twelve (12) preceding months. State service includes service with SPA local government agencies, public schools, and/or community colleges.
Employee must be eligible for Family and Medical Leave (FML) by being in pay status for at least 1,040 hours in the previous twelve-month period.
Temporary and part-time (less than half-time) employees are not eligible to participate in this program.
PPL and FMLA eligibility are determined by the UNC Charlotte Benefits Office after reviewing forms, certification of eligibility and usage during the preceding 12 months prior to the qualifying life event.
Reference Paid Parental Leave: for additional information regarding the employee/supervisor responsibilities, leave charges and other details.
PIM Number: 65
PIM Category: Benefits