Temporary Employees

Your employment as a non-student temporary employee is under the direction of Staff Employment. This unit provides all recruitment, appointment processing, onboarding and orientation services associated with the employment of temporary staff employees, both hourly and salaried.

Procedure for New Non-Student Temporary Employees

Before you start work and join us on campus, be sure to complete your new hire paperwork and meet with Human Resources to review your documents. More information can be found on the Before You Start page.


Hourly temporary employees will be paid every two weeks for hours worked during the preceding two weeks. The payday will be every other Friday. Salaried temporary employees will be paid semi-monthly on the 15th (or last business day before the 15th) and the last business day of each month.

Direct deposit enrollment is mandatory for all individuals paid through UNC Charlotte’s payroll system. All UNC Charlotte employees are required to enroll in direct deposit by entering their direct deposit information into Banner Self-Service or by completing and submitting a Direct Deposit enrollment form.

Temporary employees use Web Time Entry to account for their time on a timesheet.

Duration of Employment

For temporary staff employees, the State Human Resources Commission, as a means of controlling discrimination concerning leave, medical and/or retirement benefit entitlements, governs the duration of employment assignment. Temporary staff employees have no benefit entitlements.

Employment Status (hours per week)DurationBenefit Eligibility
19 or fewer hoursUp to 12 months at a timeNone
IntermittentUp to 12 months at a timeNone
20 to 29 hoursUp to 11 monthsNone, if employee does not average 30 or more hours a week during a 12-month period
30 to 40 hoursUp to 11 monthsEligibility for ACA high deductible plan
  1. Temporary employees who are hired to work a regular schedule of 19 hours or less per week may be employed for 12 months. Such employment may be renewed annually for additional periods of up to 12 months.
  2. Temporary employees who are hired to work an irregular or intermittent schedule may be employed for periods of up to 12 months. However, the hours worked may not exceed 988 hours during any consecutive 12-month period. Such employment may be renewed annually for additional periods of up to 12 months.
  3. Temporary employees hired to work a regular schedule of 20-40 hours per week may be employed for up to eleven months. When sufficiently justified, an extension of the employment period for an additional month (total employment period of 12 months) may be requested and is subject to prior approval by Human Resources. However, in no case shall the period of temporary employment at 20-40 hours per week exceed a total of 12 months.
  4. Once a temporary employee has worked eleven or twelve consecutive months, the employee must take a 31-day break in service from the University before they can return for another temporary work assignment; or
  5. They can have their employment converted to a part-time or intermittent schedule, as long as the hours worked do not exceed 988 hours during any consecutive 12-month period. The employee is ineligible to work more than 19 hours a week until a 31-day break of service is taken.
  6. Departments are encouraged to establish a time-limited position for a temporary assignment that can last more than one year with a max employment time of three years. These positions are benefits-eligible. (See PIM-57, Establishing SHRA Positions under Career Banding for guidance).

Part-time, temporary staff employees are ineligible to receive benefits (leave, health coverage, State service credit, etc.). They are, however, covered by Worker’s Compensation provisions. In addition, full-time temporary staff employees that average 30 hours a week or more are eligible for the State Health Plan’s High Deductible Health Plan. For more information, please visit the Health Insurance webpage.


Temporary employees are excluded from the University’s policy, 101.22 (Flexible work and telework arraignments for SHRA and EHRA non-faculty employees). This is per the state’s Teleworking Program policy.

Non-Student Temporary Employee FAQS

I am a recent retiree of the University/State of North Carolina (TSERS or LEORS). May I return to University employment in a non-student temporary capacity?

Recent retirees from the State retirement system (Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement or Law Enforcement Officers’ Retirement Systems) may not return to State employment (in any capacity) until six (6) months have elapsed from the effective date of retirement. Please refer to the following policy language for clarification: ‘A six-month period during which no work is performed for an employer in the Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System must immediately precede a return to employment. A return to work earlier than six (6) months will revoke your retirement benefit retroactively to your retirement date and all benefits paid to you must be repaid to the retirement system. Establishing a pre-existing agreement for post-retirement employment with an employer of this system is prohibited and will cause retroactive revocation of retirement benefits, as well.

Following a six (6) month waiting period, if you are reemployed on a contractual, interim, part-time or temporary basis, or are otherwise engaged to perform services on any basis that does not require membership in the retirement system, your retirement payment will be stopped if your earnings during the twelve (12) month period immediately following the effective date of retirement or during any calendar year exceed your earnings limitation – which is calculated as the greater of the following: a) $28,080; or b) 50% of your compensation, excluding termination payments, reported to the Retirement System during the twelve (12) months of service preceding the effective date of retirement. Note: the above amounts are increased on January 1st of each year by the percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index – a national measure of the increase in the cost of living from one year to the next.

Additionally, returning retirees must complete a Retired Employee Statement form as part of the on-boarding processes.

Can a current SHRA employee also be employed as a non-student temporary employee employee?

Yes. However, the approval of the employee’s immediate supervisor and Human Resources must be obtained prior to beginning work on any supplemental University assignment. This approval process is designed to ensure that any additional hours of work do not interfere with the primary work schedule. If modifications to the primary work schedule are requested and approved, the employee’s immediate supervisor must submit (to Human Resources) an alternate work schedule in conjunction with the Request for Approval of Supplemental University Employment form.

Are non-student temporary employees eligible to participate in the teleworking program?

Temporary, intermittent and part-time (less than half-time) are not subject to policy 101.22, however in exceptional circumstances they may be eligible for flexible work arrangements.

I have been offered, and accepted, a temporary staff assignment but have not yet completed all required employment paperwork. Where may I complete this documentation?

All required employment paperwork – USCIS Form I-9, Employee Status Under Retirement Reemployment Laws certification form (ESRR), Patent Agreement, Emergency Contact, Veteran’s Status, and a Personnel Profile – is to be completed through DocuSign before your appointment/visit to the Human Resources office. You may access these forms at the following link: New Employee Checklist.

When you visit the Human Resources office, on or before your first day of employment, please bring all forms of identification necessary to establish your identity and US work authorization – for example, an unexpired US Passport, Permanent Resident Card, or Employment Authorization card; or a photo ID card issued by a government agency (driver’s license, etc.) and your Social Security card or original birth certificate.

All UNC Charlotte employees are required to sign up for direct deposit. Once your assignment is set up, you will be able to go through My UNC Charlotte to set up your direct deposit information.

Can a current student employee be employed as a non-student temporary employee employee?

No. An employee may not hold concurrent assignments in which they are designated as both a student and non-student employee. Departments may hire a current student employee as long as the subject employee is placed in another student assignment (Federal Work Study, Graduate Assistant or Student Temporary Wage) and the combined weekly hours of work do not exceed twenty (20). Departments may hire a student to fill a non-student temporary position provided they have no additional student work assignment(s). In addition, they understand that they will not be treated as a student employee. Meaning, hours of work will be scheduled at the discretion of the hiring department without respect to the student’s course schedule. They will be taxed like other non-student employees. Note: students hired in this capacity must complete all required temporary staff paperwork. Additionally, the hiring department must submit a hiring proposal, then an EPAF to initiate the approval of this action.

I have recently started work as a non-student temporary employee. When will I be paid?

Hourly Temporary Staff (non-student) employees are paid an hourly rate and record time on an electronic timesheet called Web Time Entry. Hourly employees are paid bi-weekly (Fridays). The work week runs from Sunday through Saturday and employees are to record their hours every day they work. See Web Time Entry User’s Guide and Payroll Periods / Dates.

Salaried Temporary Staff employees are paid semi-monthly stipends on the 15th (or last business day prior to the 15th) and the last business day of each month. Salaried temporary staff employees are not required to complete timesheets.

As a non-student temporary employee employee, am I eligible to receive benefits?

Temporary staff employees are ineligible to receive paid vacation, sick, or holiday leave. However, if you are working as a full-time temporary staff employee for at least 30 hours a week and your assignment duration lasts for more than a month, you may be eligible for the High Deductible plan under the Affordable Care Act. For more information click here.

I am interested in employment as a non-student temporary employee. How can I search, and apply, for a position of this type?

To search, and apply, for temporary staff (non-student) postings, please visit the UNC Charlotte job site.

Please note that there are ongoing, active pools for temporary staff work. As temporary staff employment needs are identified by a department, hiring managers are referred to these pools for potential candidates. Additionally, new temporary staff postings are listed on an as-needed basis. If you have interest in temporary staff employment opportunities, please visit our job site regularly.


PIM 08: Temporary Staff Employees


Contact Erica Roth, employment specialist at 704-687-5224 or eroth8@charlotte.edu.