New Employee Forms

Welcome to the UNC Charlotte new hire page.  Complete all 5 steps before you begin working on campus.  

Once you have (1) completed Section 1 of the I-9, (2) submitted your new hire paperwork through DocuSign, (3) provided your I-9 document(s) IN PERSON to Human Resources, (4) received the emailed I-9 verification, and (5) forwarded your I-9 email to your supervisor, the process is complete.  

FOR ALL STUDENT EMPLOYEES:  Click here for new hire paperwork and process.

1. Complete your I-9:


    If you have a social security number, click here.
    If you have to apply for a social security number, click here.  (You will receive a link to complete your I-9 within 2 business days.)
    If your position has been designated and approved as fully remote, click here(Once verified, you will receive a link to complete your I-9 within 2 business days.)

2.  Complete all pages of the new hire packet.  

     Click here for instructions on how to complete the new hire paperwork.  Note: Your NinerNet account must be activated and you will need your ID number to access these forms.    

- Click here to get started

   Foreign National Employees only:

     After completing your forms, download these tax forms to be completed and submitted to the Tax Office:  Tax forms 

     Email the tax office ( to schedule your appointment to turn in these forms. Failure to meet with the Tax Office may result in incorrect taxes being taken out of your paycheck. 

SSN letter information:

New Faculty can take their employment agreement to the Social Security Administration to apply for your SSN.   Social Security Office Locator.


3.  Schedule an in-person appointment to present the necessary documents required for the I-9HR calendar

Steps one and two must be completed before scheduling your appointment.  If you are unable to schedule an appointment, walk-in hours for new hires: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 9:00 am and 4:00 pm - 4:45 pm.


4.  Bring your unexpired I-9 documents to the King building (2nd floor - 222) at your selected appointment time. 

      Example of List A documents: US Passport, Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card - Only one document needed

      Example of List B AND C documents: List B (Driver license/State ID/UNCC ID) AND List C (Birth certificate, Social security card) 

      Foreign Nationals need to present: Passport, current I-94, AND I-20 or DS-2019 - All documents needed

      Note:  You must provide unexpired/original document(s).  No photocopies or pictures of documents can be accepted.  See the full list of acceptable documents here.


5. You will receive your I-9 verification via email to forward to your supervisor/department within 2 business days.

     NOTE:  The email will be sent the email that you used to complete Section 1 of the I-9.  Once you have forwarded the email to your department, the process is complete.  Thank you.


Additional Resources:

Tax Withholding Calculator

Please note: Tax allowances will default to single/zero for US Citizens and Permanent Residences.   Should you wish to change your form W-4 and/or form NC-4 to something other than single with zero allowances, you can now do so online by following the FAQ located here


Notice About Social Security Cards

Please note that the University strongly recommends that each employee present his/her original Social Security card to assure accurate payroll tax and retirement system reporting. If possible, please bring your original Social Security card, or official proof of application, when you visit the Human Resources department for your initial employment processing. If you are unable to locate your card, you may apply for a duplicate card by visiting your local Social Security Administration. Use this link for information on obtaining a new or replacement Social Security Card.

New Online Services for NC residents:  The Social Security Administration expanded online services for residents of North Carolina available through my Social Security portal at North Carolina residents can use the portal for many replacement Social Security number (SSN) card requests. 

Please review our Statement of Purpose on why we request your social security number.